Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, January 27, 2014

Lentils and Barley 'til March

Breakfasts:
                                                                    Banananananana

                                                         Still heaven on toasted rye.

One day I wanna go to a cafe and order a fancy latte to stay and sip and they will put pretty designs in the foam but until then I will just drink bubbly single serve french press made by moi.

Now That's What I Call a Bagel. From a real bagel store. Nothing fancy: sesame with plain tofu cream cheese. I had to miss work Thursday to see a doctor and went in on a Sunday to make the time up. To console myself I wolfed this baby down. The coffee above I brought with me though, cuz God love em but bagel stores make great bagels & shitty coffee; leave the coffee to coffee shops.

Like I said, I had to go to the doctor. They put me on antibiotics for a while and I tried to get the good -bodies back in with this Good Belly stuff. I feel like it helped; it also didn't hurt that it tastes pretty good anyway.

                                      Lotsa blackberries have been in the snack rotation.

And these Key Lime flavor Larabars. Not one of my usual flavors but very good - and it takes me on a tropical trip while I pretend it's not freezing outside.

Also keeping us warm is this quick soup I threw together for G one night. Leftover barley and lentils thrown into a pot with sauteed onion and kale, with vegetable broth.

Another quick lunch salad. I am not good at grocery shopping these days I guess. If I had a plant that produced food that I could pick and eat, that would be cool - not so into going outside and stuff. This is cooked lentils, raw zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Tossed with grain mustard later.

And finally, something special! This was so delicious. The extra, like, 10 minutes I put into actually heating up a dinner after work was really worth it, whoda thunk? This is broccoli and zucchini stir-fried with garlic, salt, and olive oil and topped with warm barley. While the vegetables cooked, I mixed together tahini, water, nooch, cayenne pepper, and paprika for a smoky, creamy, almost cheesy sauce. So so good. When it's all mixed together it's like a super vegetable mac and cheese dish. I made this two nights in a row- the second night with kale- and now I'm out of tahini but I will definitely continue making this on cold evenings. It's comforting and hearty but totally healthy too.
Alright, I'm through raving. Take care of yaselves.

24 comments:

  1. Yay for the real bagel store bagel!! It looks so damn good. You are right though, the coffee is usually shit so I definitely agree that bringing your own is a good idea. I definitely want to try the tahini and apricot jam on toast, that sounds so good.

    I'm sorry you aren't feeling well! You like that flavor of Goodbelly? I haven't been able to find my usual Tropical Orange lately and I feel like I need to start that up again so I'm looking for flavor recommendations. The Key Lime Pie Larabar is my favorite flavor! I haven't seen those in a while either!

    Looks like the dinner effort paid off because that is a beautiful dinner! I bet it tasted great and was perfect on a chilly winter night. Lots of great meals but boo for being sick! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that flavor of goodbelly - it's an easy way to get extra greens in our diets too. In case either of us needed that :)

      Delete
  2. Gdamn! Someone really enjoys their own cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good coffee and a good bagel - there's not much better. As one who recently was on anti-biotics, I feel ya. I still have some acidophilus in fridge - I should probably take them from time to time.

    The look of the sauce is very decadent. I need to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you think we need to take them on a regular basis? or just when on the antibiotics?

      Delete
  4. so true abt the bagel shop coffee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a proper bagel!! And you are soooo right. Don't get coffee at a bagel shop and don't buy a bagel at a coffee shop! Your lentil creations look great- but dunno if you can live on those til march.......
    Ugh. Antibiotics suck. You need more miso! That has a lot of probiotics. Hope the drugs fix you
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acutally the bagels I get from Think aren't all that bad. I wonder where they get them from. Good call on the miso - I forget how healthy it is sometimes, since it's so tasty. I haven't been making the soup much since I am out of tofu carrots, mushrooms, and seaweed. Ha! Basically everything except the paste itself.

      Delete
  6. When you go for that fancy foam-art latte you should go somewhere with vegan croissants so you can dip the croissant into the coffee and be properly magically faux-French.

    PS Hope you're feeling better xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better! Have you ever had the Black Russian from Bagels on the Square? Pumpernickel sesame! And, now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was just a minor infection. Haha, I almost went to Bagels on the Square bc you always mention that bagel!! It was just a little too far to get to that morning before work but I sooo want to try it soon!

      Delete
  8. Ah, you finally got a real NY bagel. :) There's something about lentils that is tastier and more comforting than other legumes. I've got some leftover lentil soup that I'm going to blend up so Miss E won't see the carrots and potatoes, and maybe she'll eat some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who doesn't like blended protein mush? ;)

      Delete
  9. I'm totally missing NYC bagels already and this didn't help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All yr roundups make me jealous for even the food in my city that I don't eat! you'll just have to return soon :) or Isa's vegan brunch bagels aren't bad if you must DIY!

      Delete
  10. Rye = heaven itself, so you're essentially eating heaven on heaven, which can only be a good thing. Same about bagels, only more so. Hope you're feeling better - that stir fry looks like health in a bowl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heaven on heaven means no calories right?

      Delete
  11. Lentils and barley sounds pretty good right about now, especially considering how easy it is to add all different kinds of spices and turn them into totally different meals. Hot protein mush? Sounds good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they ARE both super versatile; I ought to branch out a bit more with the lentils. I always just cook them the same way.

      Delete
  12. Hell yeah, sesame bagel with cream cheese…mmmmm! OMG I just bought this Good Belly Tropical Green Juice today at WF….haha, our minds seem to click together! I hope this tastes good…but it aids digestion very well! I didn’t like their coconut water version…smells funky! Tasty stir-fried dish you’ve got there…that’s some yummy creamy smoky and cheezzzy sauce, yo!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.