Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, January 20, 2014

Putting Kale to Good Use

Three days, three breakfasts:

                                                   Oatmeal with blackberries

                                                                   Banana with
                                          GF toast with Earth Balance and apricot jam

It's been so long since I've had a smoothie! But I was going crazy everytime I opened the freezer and saw old, brown bananas. In here is about 1 1/2 bananas, 1 c. kale, cranberries, raw vegan vanilla chai protein powder, tahini, ginger, a sqeeze of lemon, and spirulina. Coffee in the background.

                                                            Before tossing and
Lunch from the other day, all mixed up and colorful. Raw kale, roasted beets, sweet potato, sundried tomato, and lentils in a tahini dressing. This was especially delicious because I had to wait an extra day to eat it. On Friday I forgot I had to fast for a doctor's appointment so I made the lunch and looked longingly at it, but could not eat it. At least I didn't have to prep something for the next day? I drank Yogi fasting tea instead.
Temperatures did warm up briefly but it's also nice to have some warming foods. I've been drinking tea when I get home to help myself focus and write and it's nice to have a sweet treat with it. Thus, drugstore cookies. Similar to the maple sandwich cookies they have at Trader Joe's, but a little less sweet. Like tea time, but not as spectacular as Joey's.


Also warming: miso soup.

The winter also dries me out a lot - I am always thirsty and my skin gets really dry and itchy. I bought cucumbers to put on my skin and in water. Not the same slices. This cucumber water also has lemon juice squeezed in:


Like I said, writing and tea and tea and writing. I've been holed up in my room all day emerging for a quick lunch.
                                     German rye bread with hummus and tomatoes

                                    and half a zucchini alongside half a sweet potato.
Okay, this was my brain break. Back to work.

24 comments:

  1. Blackberries are super cheap right now, and I wish I liked them because they certainly are beautiful. Tea and writing sounds like a great day to me! Inquiring minds would love to know what you're writing. . . ;)

    The Maple Leaf cookies are freaking adorable. Warming foods are finally being balanced with raw / cold as it is tolerable temperature-wise. It's supposed to snow on Thursday, so it might be all hot, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no! blackberries are so good! Well, most of the time. I love them. I even have a blackberry tattoo :) The writing is poetry I'm trying to finish up in time to submit a manuscript.

      Delete
  2. Mmm awesome looking smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It could have been blended a little better but beggars can't be choosers...

      Delete
  3. That miso soup, yes! Looks so good. Those blackberries are either very huge, or that's a narrow bowl of oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually out of both seaweed and mushrooms, my two usual standbys for miso but it was still tasty. Yes, the oatmeal was actually in a jar... the blackberries were biggish but not as big as they appear.

      Delete
  4. Can we switch freezers? I've been longing to make banana bread but don't have any bananas ripe enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends. What kind of goodies do you have? Aw, hell, you always have vegan cheesecake or something so yes. Yes we can switch.

      Delete
  5. One thing I've noticed about living in the damp PNW is my skin doesn't get as dry, so I guess that's a good trade-off for sunny dry weather? I do get thirsty, though, and I've really gotten into lemonade. I keep a bag of lemons in the fridge so I can make some whenever I want. Hmmm. I should blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I like the rainy days so I'd definitely take that over the dry deep freeze. Would definitely like to hear about yr lemonade! It seems like a summer thing to me.

      Delete
  6. ALL KALE ALL THE TIME. I have been all over the bananas lately too. Maybe it should be smoothie time at our house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like what they say about happy hour. It's always smoothie time somewhere.

      Delete
  7. Man, that beet salad look fantastic. I need to branch out and start adding roasted veggies to my salads.

    My skin gets super dried out too! Like bad....my skin is peeling right now and gross. Do the cucumbers help? What do you do with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love roasted veggies in salads. So classy. Or something.
      The cucumbers I just slice thinly and lay on my skin. Like the puffy eye spa treatments but for the entire face. I definitely get peely too. Aloe vera also helps.

      Delete
  8. Yay for breakfast, yay for salads and yay for super cute maple cookies!! I love breakfast heavy posts because breakfast is always my favorite meal :) Your oatmeal looks delicious and I love the look of the gf toast with EB and apricot jam! That sounds great, I'm going to have to give it a try.

    I've been meaning to make miso soup for weeks now. I need to stop being such a lazy ass and do it, yours looks so good! And oh man do I want one of those cookies! Love maple.

    Stay warm, dry and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breakfast is my favorite meal too. Apricot jam is even better with tahini - that's what I've been doing more recently.
      make the miso! It wants to be made!

      Delete
  9. I admire the yin and yang thing you have going on with the fruits & vegetables and the drugstore cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All work and no play, well, you know how that turned out.

      Delete
  10. Nice variety of breakfasts! Fasting for a dr appt is the worst- what's the fasting tea suppossed to do?
    I've been super dry as well, i think its the back and forth hot to cold. I keep making this smoothie from one lucky duck that is one cucumber, a half grapefruit, some pineapple and cilantro blitzed together. It's really refreshing.
    And my dinner tonight was nearly the same as your miso bowl! Great minds...
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fasting tea says it detoxifies, it also helps curb appetite. It did help and tasted pretty ok too but by the second cup I would have preferred to eat something... The worst part is, i have to go back and have more blood taken! But at least it's earlier in the day and I'll just have to skip breakfast.
      I will have to remember that smoothie! That sounds awesome! It also reminds me I have a Groupon for Pure Food & Wine...

      Delete
    2. ?!? Groupon to pure?!! How did i miss that??? On their menu its called "sarma's smoothie" but it isn't frozen or anything. Their version of cesear salad haunts my dreams....
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  11. Oh man, those cookies look rather appealing. Big cup of tea, fistfuls of those, it's all good. I mean, smoothies are good and that, but my heart is always won by a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's how I eat cookies too: by the mad fistful!

      Delete
  12. Nice smoothie combinations, where did you find the raw vanilla chai powder? I <3 these maple leaf creme cookies…Trader Joe’s used to sell them…I’m not sure when! I love cucumber water, it’s really tasty! And I need to pick up some blackberries…miam!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.