Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tea time with Poem

Like I mentioned recently, my days off of late have been spent hunched over and freaking out at my computer trying to finish up some poetry in time to submit a manuscript (Also now might be a time to say, Props to Jes.) To get me through the later part of the day, I've taken to drinking lots and lots of tea. And what is tea without something sweet? Realizing I had a bunch of dates that were hanging around, just getting softer and softer, I remembered a Dynise Balcavage recipe for cinnamon-date scones, which sounded perfect. Fittingly, they are in the Snow Day section of her most recent cookbook, Celebrate Vegan.



Extreme close-up!!! Look at all that amazing chewy, sweet, date goodness. Although I followed the recipe for these scones EXACTLY, which is something I rarely do, I might cut back on the sugar just slightly next time. And, if I had any, walnuts most definitely would have been thrown in.
These scones are dense but not at all dry and are perfectly cinnamonly spiced. I have just enough dates left to make a second batch, which is also good news since my tea stash is also beginning to get out of hand... English breakfast, Vanilla Cinnamon black, St. John's Wort, Dandelion root, ginger tea, and various medicinal types as well (Raspberry leaf, chocolate laxative, Detox fasting tea.)
HHhhaaaannyway, to celebrate having finally finished the book, I thought I'd share a poem with you. Read while drinking tea! Or not.

Fooled Again

Jack Frost came back in a
Jack Flash our
Coldly numbed busy hands
Fumbling with the buttons on our
Light Spring cardigans
Forcing a grin while grumbling about.
Here’s Puxtawney Phil
And we certainly do feel we’ve had our fill
But what can we do but bundle up
Head down and barrel our ways through
Winter’s last
Remaining days?
We could use a few more muffled hours
Of purity.
Let us not forget to scatter some
Feed for the birds on barren branches in trees
Who have been fooled, too,
Their small throats aching to sing.
The one small bud however of a
Tiny crocus flower, well, she’ll have to wait
For the real thing.

21 comments:

  1. I was SO about to include a poem in my blog post today, then, didn't, so I think it's really awesome that you did. My poem is even similar to yours thematically!

    Maybe I'll go back and add the poem to my post :-)

    XO!
    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tis the season for cold winter poems.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I am so happy you posted this. I have only ever had the courage to post a poem of mine once, and I snuck it in without really saying it was mine. The world needs more poetry (and dates). xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember yr chocolate haikus! The world needs you to share yr beautiful words!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Those don't count. Couldn't give a rat's about those. I meant I only posted a real poem once. But thank you.

      Delete
  3. That's so awesome that you treated us to a poem! Thank you so much for posting it :) And those pictures of the totally drool worthy scones. Those look absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're great. Easier to work with than I first remembered.

      Delete
  4. Oh, now we've become Emily Dickinson. Are our pinky fingers extended while we drink our Tea and nibble our Scones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to shove that scone into my face right now! Perfectly shaped as well! I love your poem - especially the imagery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Last time I made them I think the dough wouldn't hold together as well so I just baked them as clumps, which weren't as pretty but still tasted good.

      Delete
  6. Dates and cinnamon in a scone? Yesyesyesyes. I bet that vanilla cinnamon tea is a nice pairing with it too.....Yogi makes a vanilla hazelnut that is great if you ever see that.
    Thank you for the poem! I'm impressed that you have such a talent.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tea, honestly. It goes great with anything but, yes, especially the scones. I'll look for the Yogi stuff! Hazlenut tea sounds delicious.

      Delete
  7. Tea is my usual breakfast thing, everyday in the morning. Sometimes, I realize I needed something else to go with it, like a buttery toast. What a beautiful wintery poem…I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually need coffee in the mornings but my press broke and tea won't do it that early. But it is nice to drink the afternoons. Buttery toast sounds delicious, yes. And easy enough to make in the groggy mornings.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with that manuscript! Do you have an agent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh no. I don't know the ins and outs of this at all. It's not all that serious. I submit to literary journals occasionally and hope something makes it in, that's all.

      Delete
  9. I must have been picking up on your vibe. I have been SO busy and haven't looked at any of my regular food blogs in a month. Yours is the 2nd one I visited today--and there you go. Nice to include poetry in a post...to make us slow down, breathe, look and appreciate. Good luck with the writing and submissions! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it; they were delicious! I tested for this book and if you changed them at all since then, it was for the better. So delicious, thank you!

      Delete
  10. I used to make the scones all the time — thanks for the reminder to make them again. It's been years, though, since I made a poem. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i'd be interested to see some g-f scones a la Andrea.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.