Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Loving Hut, Cinnamon Girl

G and I NEEDED curry one cold winter night after work. Or, I did because I had no groceries at home and was really hungry, so I dragged him out with me. Wild Ginger and its curry noodle soup would be our usual go-to but we decided to switch things up a little and go to Loving Hut on Grand Street in Bushwick. We seemed to recall that they had a couple different curry dishes BUT they changed the whole menu up AND everything was really expensive. We were also told that the menu was about to be overhauled again.
After an uncomfortable exchange and longing looks at the menu, a server told us that there was a special that day for a curry. We even were able to get it as a lunch size serving, for 7 dollars. It came with a crispy spring roll and brown rice on the side.


It was good, though I probably would have preferred a different curry dish. This came with soy protein. It did have potatoes in it, which I thought were delicious. It was spicy (which I like) but a little too salty...and you could see the swirls of oil in it, which I just kind of looked the other way over. As opposed to our last visit, this time the servers were OVERattentive to the point of being disturbing. We will probably not be back. I will say that the "lunch size" is definitely a good-sized portion.
We also recently stopped by Cinnamon Girl (NOT to be confused with Cinnamon Snail) in Bed-Stuy for some zine fuel. It's an upscale bodega/cafe kind of, that sells local beer by the growler and vegan cake by the slice, as well as jams, organic eggs, Annie's mac & cheese boxes, that sort of crap. G picked a slice of red velvet cake for us to share (we had already had lunch! This wasn't our only fuel, I promise!) They had a decent selection of other options, too.


This was 5 dollars, and enough for two of us. It was good! I am not one much for cake because the icing (frosting? What's the difference?) is always so sweet. Obviously this was sweet too but they didn't slather it on. Also, red velvet would not have been a flavor I'd pick because I'm wary of food colorings but I couldn't taste anything chemically or weird.
So, yeah. Brooklyn is changing. Lots of vegan options in formerly low-income neighborhoods (well, still,) for better or worse.
I leave you with Cinnamon Girl by some of Brooklyn's own prodigal sons: Type O!


20 comments:

  1. There have been a few times when I've gotten up and left restaurants before ordering. It's weird and uncomfortable, but it sounds like that's what you should have done at that Loving Hut location.

    I'm too freaked out by Red Dye #2 to ever eat Red Velvet cake again. Maybe Cinnamon Girl made the cake with Beet Juice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We almost did but I am too awkward to draw attention like that. Greg did all the talking.
      Yes, let's just say it was beet juice in the cake.

      Delete
    2. I've had cake this red before that was made from beets - it could be!

      Delete
  2. I can definitely understand wanting to leave and that feeling of discomfort not knowing what to do. For some reason the NY locations never seemed to have appealing menus to me. Everywhere else looks great but not so much here. What's up with that? I've also noticed that the meals can be salty which is why I stick to my regular option when I do get to go when I visit my friend in FL.

    That cake looks really good and hopefully not too chemical laden. I know what you mean about the frosting being really sweet but that cake looks really great. Love the Type O video being included as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya; going in thinking something is on the menu, only to find it changed and with a higher price. Boo. I still plan on trying Loving Hut, but I will make sure to go at lunch and not have curry!

    Nice looking cake slice, and what a great post-lunch treat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe yr Loving Hut will be great. It really just seems to be NY having problems from what I've heard. Lunch is the cheaper option, though. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah, this explains the source of my latest disappointment! I was shopping at the Kahala Mall in Hawaii Kai, and got really excited when I saw the store "Cinnamon Girl" listed on the directory. I thought for sure it had something to do with vegan desserts, so I was mightily bummed to discover very frou-frou clothing when I got to the door. Clearly, there are two different businesses, and they are not related!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Haha, so sad. Hope you found something else delicious to eat.

      Delete
  5. The Chelsea location also upped all their prices. Not a fan of the New York menus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy! Shouldn't they step UP their game? Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  6. You just never know what to expect from Loving Hut — ours has changed ownership a few times, and every time I think I've found something I like there, it disappears. At least you can count on it being vegan. Last time I was at our Loving Hut, they even had the TV off. That's probably against the rules. I avoid red velvet cake for all the reasons you mentioned — plus now the gluten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness this location at least didn't have televisions in it.

      Delete
  7. OMG, that cake!! It looks so good. We have a couple new growler shops in Memphis, but they don't serve vegan cake. That sounds like the perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake and beer is up there with pizza and beer.

      Delete
  8. Red Velvet is everywheeeeereeeeee. Such a bizarre American concept. But hey, (vegan) cream cheese, right? Right.

    PS Well done you for trying a new place. Or an old-new place (Loving Hut, I'm referring to in my gobbledegook manner). Anyhoo, going out of your comfort zone. That's what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not sure how it took hold. This icing didn't seem particularly cream cheesy - just vanilla, I think.
      We went out of our comfort zone and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!

      Delete
  9. So I'm thinking that red velvet cake is the same mysterious one- Red Mango, carried by The Bean (which I love). They also make a mean chocolate peanut butter cheesecake if you ever spot it around town.

    The best thing I've ever eaten at a Loving Hut has been falafel, which is odd. Why didn't you just go to Pukk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. clarification: I love both The Bean and the Red Mango red velvet

      Delete
  10. The Loving Hut chain does seem to be variable quality - I've had some really nice stuff there and some real crap. I also tend to like a bit of booze with my dinner, which rules them out. Glad you found somewhere booze and cake too!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.