Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, July 24, 2014

All Over the Place

Tryna get back into the swing of things.
Baking helped:

Banana bread muffins with walnuts and chocolate chips. Recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking. This is the first time (I think) I used frozen then defrosted and mashed bananas rather than fresh overripe ones, and I think they came out awesome.

Straight outta the oven.
Other prep day work was sauteeing vegetables on their way out:

                                                     kale, zucchini, mushrooms, onion

Also cooked a big pot of rice and ate this for two days' lunch. Veg with rice, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar.
Dinner miso soup:

                                    With rice, spinach, scallion, carrot, miso and spices.

 Didn't have much to make for today's lunch, so Paradis it was: BBQ Japanese eggplant with kale, squash, tomato, and black rice. Interesting.
And G and I went out to dinner last night to Nish Nush, a Mediterranean place near City Hall.

He got this platter: 2 cabbage salads, Israeli salad, hummus, 3 different kinds of falafel, spicy chutney, olives + pickles, and pita ($12.) I helped him eat some. I also got my own falafel sandwich. Good stuff.
Probably more miso soup tonight.
LATA.

17 comments:

  1. Those muffins are PERFECT!! They look incredible, I would never think to use defrosted bananas. I love the gooey chocolate chips too, there is nothing better than a fresh baked muffin.

    Gorgeous prep meals. The saute looks really yummy and your miso soup looks lovely as always. It must have been a great, light meal. The Mediterranean meal looks amazing as well! What a feast! What kinds of falafel were on there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were good! Yeah, the bananas I had frozen for smoothies but I only make smoothies about once a week so they were taking up space in the freezer. Didn't take long to defrost in the heat, ha.
      The saute was good. I've been making a lot of them lately.
      Not sure what the third kind of falafel was - there were original and spicy though.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous muffins! And all slightly over the hill veggies work for stir fry. Dunno about that hot soup....
    I LOVE nish nush!!! Especially their fat fluffy pita they use and the hummus is amazing. I always end up getting a hummus to go too.... Probably a tie with taim for favorite in nyc. But rainbow falafel gets bonus points for nostalgia since i went there often in college.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I thought of you when I saw the area - maybe because there was a cafe that sounded familiar? maybe you said you got an almond milk latte down there some time? I'm so rarely in that part of town! Are you there often?
      The hummus was very good! The place was recommended by a co-worker, good call on her part. Taim is SO great though. Not sure this compared, but it's been a long time since I've been to Taim.
      Rainbow ain't bad!

      Delete
    2. I am in tribeca a lot, i have some good friends there and i love the bike ride down the west side highway to get there. And yes, Kaffe 1668 is the same hood, almond milk latte land :)
      Taim is the gold standard. We need as many Taims as there are shake shacks!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. Almost everything I cook is inspired by what's wilting most at the back of the fridge/what looks like it might fall victim to mould tomorrow - glad to hear I'm not the only one! Paradis aubergine is looking particularly tasty right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same, haha.
      The aubergine was well cooked but kind of flavorless.

      Delete
  4. i could go for one of those muffins!!! okay 3 of those muffins and some coffee with almond milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all gone now! I wish I had more...

      Delete
  5. That muffin really looks great all melty and gooey! I aspire to make soups that look as great as yours. And, of course, to consume as many veggies in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight outta the oven can't be beat. I thought about waiting, but I'm glad I didn't. I feel like I haven't been eating enough vegetables lately! WTH!

      Delete
  6. Hi lady! Those muffins look awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hi! Thanks! I enjoyed them, and even shared.

      Delete
  7. Poor Haxan! Suffering in that heat so you could bake Muffins. They do look pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was smart enough to run to a cooler room and hide under the bed.

      Delete
  8. I love everything you ate and created here.Beautifully bright veggie saute, and soup! But those muffins... yes. Nish Nush is a great name for a restaurant, and their food looks pretty tasty..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What did you make for yrself when you got back from vacation? The muffins were bangin'. Recommended.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.